Thursday, June 5, 2008

When You're Also a Fan...

For as long as I can remember, I've been a reader. I love being swept up in a story, of being taken to another place, whether it's Terry Brooks' fictional Shannara or Stephen King's very real Maine.

As a teen, I devoured King, Brooks, David Eddings, Dean Koontz, Bertrice Small, Kathleen Woodiwiss and Judith Krantz. And so many more I can't remember. I loved horror for the thrill, fantasy for the world building and story scope but romance was where I found my heart.

I searched for romance in every horror and fantasy book I read as a teen, but I remember only being fully satisfied when I read King's THE STAND and met Stu and Fran. Finally, a couple to live, laugh and cry with as I followed along on King's post-apocalyptic journey.

And though it's been many (many) years since I've read Brooks' Shannara series, I can still remember waiting for Shea to find a girl and live happily ever after.

Then, of course, there was Small and Woodiwiss. The day a new book with either of their names on it appeared in the bookstore was a day for rejoicing. Back then, I didn't know there were things such as laydown dates. There was no internet to check websites to find out when my favorite author would have a new book out.

Today, with a few clicks of the mouse, I can find out the exact date I need to be in the store to get a favorite author's book. Tuesday was one of those days.

LOVER ENSHRINED, the new Black Dagger Brotherhood book by JR Ward, sat on the shelf awaiting my arrival. Since I have my own writing to do, I couldn't get to the bookstore until after lunch. And then I had to wait until later in the day to actually read it. Of course, I finished it Wednesday night with a wistful sigh and the thought that I should go check when Lover Avenged comes out so I know exactly how long I have to wait.

I picked up Ward on the recommendation of a friend and immediately fell under the brothers' spell. Ward skillfully interweaves the lives of a dozen or more characters, good and evil, and creates a world I want to return to on a regular basis. She combines romance, horror and fantasy in a way that satisfies the teenager in me who yearned for those elements in one book.

It's this blind faith that I hope, one day, to inspire in my own readers. And can't wait for the day a reader writes to tell me how much she's enjoyed my world.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

Awesome! You make me want to find out more! As it is, thanks to your recommendation, I have 3 Lora Leigh books at home, one half finished--I'm working to meet a contest deadline so my stuff comes first--and two more in the wings. The storytelling is fantastic. I can't wait to get to Kell Krieger's story!

Yes, you're a fan. Enjoy! And hey, I'm already waiting to see what happens to Tessa! :-)

June 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Adele Dubois said...

Oh, Steph, I'm with you all the way. King's The Stand is one of my all time favorite books (bought the unabridged version as soon as it was released, years later.) Just finished Ward's Lover Awakened and loved it. Your book Seduced by Magic is next on my list! I know your work, so please count me as one of your fans. :)

Best--Adele Dubois

June 5, 2008 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Julian said...

Carla,
Let me know what you think about those Leigh books. I'm just a little obsessed with her, as well.

And cross your fingers that some day Tessa will be out there.

June 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Julian said...

Adele
You know I'm one of yours and wasn't Zsadist awesome? Big sigh.

June 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home