Thursday, June 12, 2008

NY, Here I Come (Hopefully)

I just sent the revisions on my big fat paranormal romance off to my new agent.

Cue the whining to my husband that I should have done one more read-through, the whimpering to my writer friends about the flooded market and the downturn in the economy, and the 10-ton elephant that settled on my shoulders as I begin (again) the wait for someone to buy my baby.

I've been agented before. I know you receive rejections a lot quicker with an agent. I also know that this book is in the best shape it can be. At the moment. Of course, there's always work that can be done but at this point, in my mind, it's ready to go. I really hope my agent agrees.

I too look longingly at NY, wanting to be one of the chosen. Dreading the emails that say, thanks but we're passing, and praying for the phone call that every writer would give their eyeteeth for.

While I wait, I know it's time to work on what's next. For me, that's finishing the fifth story in my SEDUCED series for Ellora's Cave, finishing a new story to submit for EC's Caveman anthology and allowing myself to dream about the day THE CALL comes.

And maybe about what the cover for my big fat paranormal romance will look like with my name on it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

Too funny. I'm just getting used to this agent thing. For a while there I heard from him twice a week, telling me he'd sent my MS out to X, Y, and Z. The next week, I'd get an email saying X and Y rejected it. On the other hand, Z still has it. (3 Z's, in fact.) I used to check my cell phone on the hour, in case I walked away and missed The Call. So far, nothing, but I'm not giving up. It'll happen. Just keep thinking about all the adrenaline you'll have to burn off when The Call comes in.

And you're right, keep working on the next Big Thing. Forget trends; if the book is right, it'll find a home. Relax, you've got the Write Stuff!

June 12, 2008 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger Rowan West said...

Focus on the postivie - some of would just be thrilled to have five books with EC and release more than one in a year!! Or already have an agent to begin with.

Oops... the green eyed monster. Not pretty.

Good luck, Steph and keep us posted.

June 13, 2008 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger Dawn Halliday said...

My advice--keep the focus off waiting for the phone to ring by writing more proposals for your agent. My first book snagged her but didn't quite make the grade with the editors. I sent her two more proposals. It was the third that was the winner!

June 17, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home