Thursday, January 31, 2008

Three Words That Best Describe Me Are...

STUBBORN

I've had to be. Otherwise, I wouldn't be published. It took me six years to get my first and second books published. Without my innate stubborness, I would have given up after five. And hopefully, being stubborn will pay off. Like many others, my sights are set on NY. And I'm too stubborn to quit until I get there. Even if it takes another decade.

HOPEFUL

Again, something else you have to be in this business otherwise you might as well just give up and crawl back to your day job. Yes, hope is a four-letter word, as I so often tell my critique partner Judi. But it's also the only thing that keeps me going some days. And hope is as stubborn as I am because, the day after I've gotten five rejection, it's right there the next morning, waiting for me when I sit down to my computer and telling me, Maybe today is the day.

DREAMER

Writing is all about dreams, isn't it? If we didn't dream, whether asleep or sitting at our computer, we wouldn't be able to imagine a love story between vampires and werewolves or 20th century women and 12th century men. Or between the son of an Etruscan God and a woman with wings. We wouldn't be able to continue day after day, rejection after rejection, if we didn't dream about getting The Call. Or winning the RITA. Or hitting the NY Times list.

If I'm stubborn enough and hopeful enough and dream enough, I do believe I'll get there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caffey said...

Hi I'm Cathie, a reader. I just found this blog eventhough I've had the joy of reading many of Mari's books and too I read Annmarie. I so look forward to reading more of you!

This is so fitting as an author! Keep believing!

February 1, 2008 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Julian said...

Hey Cathie,
Thanks for stopping by and HI!!
So nice to meet you. Hope you stop by often and I look forward to talking.
Steph

February 3, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home