Friday, January 18, 2008

IF I COULD GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD...

Italy, without a doubt. And I’ll tell you why in a sec.

But first…Hi. How are ya? I’m Stephanie Julian but feel free to call me Steph. I’m a writer, a mother, a wife and yes, I did put writer first.

It’s taken me a little while to find my writing niche but I like the erotic paranormal world I’ve created and I think I’ll play here for quite a while. Which Ellora's Cave is so graciously allowing me to do.

Which brings me back to why, if I could go anywhere in the world, I’d go to Italy.

Back a few years, when I first started writing paranormal, I’d decided I wanted to write about something other than vampires, which I absolutely adore but which Maggie Shayne could do so much better than me. What wasn’t being done? Well, witches and fairies were still mostly the realm of fantasy, not romance, so I thought, hey I can do that.

But I didn’t want to do what everyone else was doing—Celtic. No real trace of English or Irish blood in me. So I started to do a little research and hey, the Italians (I’m second generation on my dad’s side) have something called streghe and folletti. And just like that, I had my world. Took me a few years to perfect it, of course, and that’s an ongoing process. But I had my framework, tied into my heritage.

And I’ve actually been to Italy. I’ve been to Rome and walked in the Coliseum and the Forum. I’ve been to the Piazza Navona and threw coins in the Trevi Fountain. I’ve marveled at Pompeii’s ruins, Capri’s grottoes and the amazing city of Venice. Knowing that you walk the same streets the ancient Romans, Greeks and Etruscans walked 2,000 years ago is mind-boggling. And inspiring. And oh so cool.

I hope to get back there someday. And be inspired some more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adele Dubois said...

Italy is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I loved it there, too, and would like to go back to spend a summer writing by the water or near a stunning vineyard. In the meantime, I'll watch my VISIONS of Italy DVD's and dream... Can't wait to read your books with Ellora's Cave. I wish you many sales! --Adele Dubois

January 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Sharyn said...

Aaahhhh, Italy. Love it and can't get enough! (Did you know we were married in Florence??) We're going back in May for a Mediterranean cruise...spending a couple of days pre-cruise with friends outside Rome, then stopping in Livorno, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Mallorca, Carthage, Palermo, Naples, and back to Rome.

I'm glad you've found your nitch, Steph!

Sharyn

January 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Donna Michaels said...

Hi Steph,

Italy sounds beautiful and is on the top of my travel list.

I'm counting down the weeks until your release and look forward to 'visiting' your world. :)

Donna Michaels

January 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Judi Fennell said...

I can't wait to read all of these, Steph! Wait untiil the rest of the world gets to see your incredible world! And hopefully someday I'll make it to Italy. Spain was pretty cool. Hmm, wonder what they've got that I could use. Best of luck!

January 18, 2008 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Julian said...

Hey guys,
You all made my day!!!
Thanks for dropping by.
Sharyn, I'm so jealous you get to go back and so soon.
Adele, you'll have to loan me that DVD.
Donna and Judi, I say we plan a field trip, I'm sure we could the VFRW to fund us. LOL

January 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

I wish I'd been to Italy. Hopefully some day!

Welcome to the Muses, Steph!

Mari

January 18, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home