Wednesday, July 2, 2008

997...998...999.. 1,000!

My writing goal each day is to add 1,000 words to the total word count of my current manuscript. But I have to say, there are days when I feel like I'm back in school counting every single word and adding an adjective or two just to get closer.

In the original Broadway production of "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown", there's a song called "Book Report" where the characters have to write a book report on Peter Rabbit. Throughout the song, Lucy (always my favorite character) can be heard counting as she painfully works her way through the report. She ends with "And they were very very very very very very happy to be home." Can you sympathize?

Somedays are like that. Everytime I hit word count, I've moved... 50 words. When I'm sure I've written 200, it's half that. Yes, it's one of those days when the muse does doesn't let the words flow. I wonder at these days. I get no warning one way or the other until my hands are frozen above the keyboard and my mind is wandering to laundry. Other days I sit and... whoosh! The story flies onto the page and I wonder why I was struggling the day before.

Yesterday was a good one. I added 1,300 words - the last half of which seemed to almost magically appear (I say almost, because I know how much work it really took). Today... well, let's say that the reason I'm posting late is because those were some of the longest 1,000 words I've added.

But they're there. And tomorrow, I'll be back in front of the page - and hoping for a flying day.

May you words soar,
Rowan

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lacey Savage said...

You know, I think you hit on the key to lasting productivity there: showing up at the keyboard and making that word count every day, no matter what.

Well, OK... almost every day, barring unforeseen disasters. An uncooperative muse, however, doesn't count as a disaster. I'm betting that when you read over the words you wrote while in the groove, and then read over the words you wrote while struggling to count each one, you can't tell the difference in the quality of the writing. It's all you, and it's all good.

Great job making your 1000 words today!

Lacey
http://www.laceysavage.com

July 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Rowan West said...

Thanks, Lacey. I appreciate that. And... you're right (write?). When I go back after a few days to edit, I can't tell what's from the easy days and what's from the hard.

You're also write about uncoopertative muses not counting as a disaster. It can feel like it in the moment, but it's something that can, and must, be worked through.

Have a great day and may the words flow!

-Rowan
http://www.rowanwesterotica.com

July 3, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Dawn Halliday said...

Oh, Rowan I've been there. It ultimately inches up to the goal though. Eyes on the prize, you'll make it!

July 4, 2008 at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home