Monday, June 30, 2008

Too Much Sex??


Is there such a thing as too much sex in a book? I never thought about it before, but then I read a book this weekend that made me ask myself that question. The book I read was about two couples who are at a swingers club. I knew going in there was going to be group sex, but for some reason it all threw me for a loop.


First of all there were a lot of sex partners who never even had names because they were there for one scene and gone... (For example, Blonde Woman, Fit Man, etc) Sometimes there were so many people, some unnamed and bodyparts it was difficult to keep track of who was doing what...lol.


The other thing that bothered me was all the unprotected sex. I realize it was just a book and fiction, but it still gave me the creeps. In the beginning of the book it is mentioned everyone had to be tested before they were allowed into the "resort"... but people switch partners after oral, anal, and regular sex... I never thought I was a prude or anything , but I had a few ewww moments.


So does has anyone ever read a book that had a bit too much in it? I hate to think it's me and that I'm getting old...lol


Annmarie

3 Comments:

Blogger Jambrea said...

I really think it depends on the book and the characters to tell you the truth. I read two books by the same author. One was a short with no sex the other had TONS of sex, but it fit. I the first one the characters weren't ready for sex in the second one, the sex between the two fit no matter how much it was. :)

July 1, 2008 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Julian said...

I'm with jambrea, it depends on the book and how well the writer integrates sex into the story. If it's an integral piece, no problem. If it's just slapped in there because the trend is to write hot and they need to sex up the books, it shows and I won't buy them again.

July 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger Dawn Halliday said...

I agree with you, Annmarie. It's not just about too much sex to me, because any amount of sex, if it forwards the plot and develops characterization, works for me. BUT, when it does neither, it's gratuitous and gives me a sour feeling in my stomach.

July 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home