Thursday, September 20, 2007

What can YOU do in two hours

Three weeks ago my youngest child started half-day preschool. After dropping him off I am home by 11:45 and dont have to leave the house to get him until 1:55. That's two hours and ten minutes. 130 minutes. I havent had time like this to myself on a regular basis since he was born nearly 5 years ago.

For the first two days I did nothing much - errands, grocery shopping. I think I was in shock and didnt know quite what to do with myself. Now I've learned that I can

1. Edit a 14,000 word book.
2. Write a chapter (or so, depending on how the story is going)
3. Outline a character
4. Talk uninterupted on the phone
5. Do three loads of laundry
6. Leisurely eat lunch while reading a book
7. Get research done at the library
8. Get a handle on my filing without someone coming in and stepping on the paper
9. Start a crockpot meal
10. Update my website.

And write a blog post or two :) I am still getting used to this time, but I can tell you... it has been WONDERFUL. I know as the weeks go by I will be able to get more and more accomplished during this time.

In 49 weeks he goes to full day kindergarten, his older brother will be in third grade and I will have 6 1/2 hours a day on my own.

But who's counting.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mari said...

LOL!!!! Man you sound like me except I had twins! I about did the jig when they started PreK...they are in Kindergarten now. And man, I celebrate every morning after I drop them off. Wooohooo

September 21, 2007 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Dawn Halliday said...

That's so great! My youngest (she's three) just started preschool as well). She in from 9-12, but it's 25 minutes away, so that gives me from 9:25-11:35 to work! 2h10m. And guess what I'm doing now? Blogging. LOL. :)

September 21, 2007 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger CatherineBerlin said...

Now see, my brain is in the gutter. I read "get a handle on my filing" as "get a handle on my fling", and had to reason out why Rowan would be telling us about her affair.

Maybe I need glasses...

September 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

School is a wonderful thing. One of my favorite commercials of all time was that Staples ad where they played, "It's the most wonderful day of the year!" and this dad was gleefully riding a shopping cart through the aisles of Staples buying school supplies.

September 22, 2007 at 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home